Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It's always sunny...

I suppose Philadelphia will always feel like home to me. Every time I pull back into the city--by plane, train or automobile--I feel my chest swell up and I know it's because all that Philly blood is rushing to my heart. I've been out of the city for 10 months now (almost to the day) and the passing of every one of those (300 or so) days has felt like a slow drizzle of confusion.  Following this tangential course the universe has given me isn't always easy, especially when I can't see more than a few steps in front of me, but I know I need to stay on it as long as it takes and trust that it's taking me exactly where I need to be--just have to keep walking forward.  This was the first trip back where I began to make peace with that fact and started to let go of my longing to be living the life I left behind.

On the walk home Monday the sun FINALLY came out for the first time all weekend!
My favorite Philly family (my favorite family anywhere, actually) was kind enough to put me up again, in exchange for nothing more than a batch of Hermit cookies (which were gone in a day) and 24-hours of nanny duty, both of which were my pleasure. I spoiled the daylight out of Talulah (don't read this Ed!) and the Lolo brought me to this joint in Northern Liberties where I had my first burger in almost a year. Yes, burger. As in meat burger.

Honestly, I don't feel bad having left them behind...but I'm glad I reminded myself about what I'm not missing. (Although if you're a meat lover you would definitely love this place...they even have a Krispy Kreme burger!) Next time I go, I'll stick with the homemade basil bean burger, and I'll have to try the jalapeno-and-bacon-wrapped tater tots... (yes! they are real!! ...also, is it weird that bacon is less horrifying for me to consume that any other kind of meat, even chicken? Perhaps because it so loosely resembles meat, more of a fat strip, really, than anything else...) Anyway, I'll stick with yummy vegan treats when I go out from now on.
Vegan chicken cheesesteak from Govinda's on Broad and South (Philadelphia)

Thanks to Lolo and Couzin Ed for being awesome. Thanks to lil T for all the excitement (and hugs). And thanks to Advil for making a PM version. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment